Tuesday, August 5, 2008

An Open Letter...

photo copyright enoch chan

Dear You:

An Artist's Work Is to Make Art.

Not to explain it, write about it, build a model for it, etc. It is to simply make it.

See, most choreographers will never get to dance their own best work when they are most physically capable of doing so. It is a tragedy.

I can be a starving dancer for someone else's company and perform often, but in a way where I am using my instrument to say someone else's movement; and then choreograph my own work on the side. Or, I can teach, teach, teach, write grants, build a board, make marketing materials, build an audience, fund-raise, network, and STILL choreograph while training myself and others to perform my work. With the former, my work will be performed only as a commission in someone else's concerts - if ever. In the latter, I run the risk of building a reputation based on creating my vision on a fraction of the budget it actually needs to make the impact it should - meaning a reputation for the Wall-Mart version of my Rodeo Drive self. A clothing designer is not expected to make their designs on paper fabric with tooth-pics as thread. Most people understand that the materials matter. It is the same in choreography. Time with myself and with the dancers is my material - and it is expensive.

Either way, it will be years before my best work will be presented and performed.

In order to perform my own best work, I need to be in the studio a minimum of 5 hours a day, 5 days a week, not including class. Meaning I need 35 hours a week in the studio with myself and my dancers. The other 5 hours (to make up the 40 hour work week enjoyed by many) is spent managing dancer issues, taking care of props, supplies, costumes, rehearsal & performance schedules, venues, lighting & sound designers, musicians, Stage Manager, etc... oh, wait... that's more than 5 hours.

That is my work.

I suppose I'm sad and somewhat angry because I know it will take many years to generate enough revenue to make my work in that way. And by that time, I will not be able to dance it.

The sadness is knowing that reality. The anger comes from sitting at meetings with people who mean so well and knowing that they will never fully get it, because they are administrators and cannot possibly fully comprehend or appreciate the actual work that goes into the creative process of creating a concert. That process is expected to happen in my "free" time, grossly underpaid, and at the ultimate expense of my own vision. We are not paintings, we don't get better with age.

This process costs my soul. I cannot do what I see in my head and feel in my heart because I spend my most precious hours asking for money to make my work in a condensed and dysfunctional way - so that it can be properly documented, processed, and assessed - for someone else.

There has to be another model and I have to find it soon.

Help.

4 comments:

shallomj said...

I havent danced in 2 months, KK what am I doing?
I miss you. I miss how we are when we're together. I miss how we get things accomplished.

I miss dancing with you.

k.k. said...

I miss you so much it's ridiculous! It's past time for some cross-cultural exchange. Give me a week to have a solid plan. Your Canadian ass needs to guest with me this fall! Get in class.

DBurkholder said...

K - I, of course, totally understand your frustration. Lately I've been asking what other models are there for me and my work. Constantly chasing money and gigs is more than a full time job - one I don't have the time for. You know how hard others - like Paul - have worked and continue to work to raise that kind of money and awareness.

Long ago I made the agreement with myself that I would not be on the computer after 10pm, nor before 8am. And, mostly, I've stuck to that. It means that I have to decide not to do certain things in terms of networking, fundraising, etc.. But, I needed it for my quality of life. And now with Adelais I set a side big chunks of the week just to be with her. And then i teach, design lights, see clients.... oh, and, yea, make work and produce concerts.

This cycle is why David Dorfman, Bebe Miller and many others have taken jobs at universities - it is just too much - even when your fairly successful.

One point I must disagree on though is your statement " I know it will take many years to generate enough revenue to make my work in that way. And by that time, I will not be able to dance it." I just turned 40 and I am a better dancer now than when I was 25 or even 35 - I understand my body better, dynamics better, what I'm trying to say better. It is true my jumps aren't as high nor my legs, but that's just tricks, its not dancing... And, Maida just did an hour long solo performance - dancing just gets better, I promise...

best,
db

k.k. said...

db,

Your presence and perspective is always such a gift of comfort and contemplation. Thanks for taking the time to offer your words.

I'm having growing pains. I feel like a rebellious teen-ager (in dance) railing at the world!

Through it all, every day is a new one... even a day from writing this, I feel better for having said it and I am certainly in a different place... a shifted place.

I always come back to hope. Hope that I will find the right path for me, my life as a lover, mom, friend, human - and this work.

And, you're right, the dancing does get better in many ways. Sometimes watching 18 year olds dance emotionally complex work is painful and clumsy to behold. I'm glad I'm not there anymore.

BUT, I do relish the athleticism as well as the quieter connections. It is rough to know the days of flipping around painlessly are limited. Boris and I have had that conversation a lot!

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.