Monday, August 16, 2010

Dance Photography Workshop: A Community Grows!

The Motion of Dance

This weekend I participated in a dance photography workshop at The Carriage House in DC. It was a wonderful experience as a dancer & model. In a nutshell, a group of photographers with an interest in dance gathered from 2-6 pm to share war-stories, best practices, and to address the unique circumstances that come with working with a dancer rather than a traditional model. Then the photographers took turns shooting images in different set-ups and concepts with myself and another dancer, Stormy.

It was the first of what I hope will be many opportunities for both dancers and photographers to share our unique perspectives on just that... perspective. We created a community in our time together - I'm already planning individual shoots with the photographers that participated and I am thrilled by the work they turned out. It's a win-win for all.

The images here thus far are from Paul Frederiksen. Flickr


The Motion of Dance

















The two images above are by Michael Avilez










These three are by Mike Kelly




This one is by Chris Maxwell


The other photographers involved are:

Ben Madden

- a lovely woman whose contact info I do not have :( I hope she sends me some shots!!! As the photographers send images, I'll update. I have linked to all of their web-sites, too.





2 comments:

Mike said...

I've put up a short slideshow of some of the pictures from Sunday on my blog. Thanks again for sharing your perspective and collaborating to create some beautiful imagery.

Anonymous said...

Good point, though sometimes it's hard to arrive to definite conclusions