Friday, May 7, 2010

Donor Fatigue: "Free" performances are not "Free"




I have a very different kind of "Donor Fatigue".

As a company, we are often asked to "donate" our services for a "great" PR opportunity, cause, charity, event, etc. While we LOVE to dance anytime, for anyone; this is also our JOB. We dance because we love to do it, but we also chose this as a career - not a hobby.

Most "Free" performances, even when we do them, are not "free" to us. The company MUST pay the artists involved, even if the company receives zero compensation from the host, venue, or sales. Attracting qualified, healthy, and stable dancers & collaborators to create quality work requires PAYING those artists for their contribution.

I have certainly asked the artists to donate their time occasionally, and honestly, I feel awful each and every time. It is one thing for me to volunteer my services, but it is another thing entirely for me to ask that of others - in the name of my company.

In addition to performer pay, there are costumes, designers, props, composers, etc who all need to be paid fairly for their contribution/materials as well. Not to mention rehearsal space rental... you get the idea - I could go on.

Why do many presenters and organizations assume dance companies should/would perform at their event for free?

I am currently asking for sponsors to support one such request - that is for a great cause. However, if we don't get the sponsorship, we cannot perform. It's as simple as that.

(scratches her head)


If you are interested in supporting our "free" efforts, write ContradictionDance@gmail.com. Or, visit: http://contradictiondance.com/about/donate/

No comments: