Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Performing outside...


So... there's been much written in the dc dance blogs, particularly DCDANCEBLOG, about the recent improv festival. It's all fab stuff and very much on my mind... crafting a work for a typical stage w/ proscenium is completely different. This season, all of our concerts are on very different stages - the only true proscenium we'll experience is in December. Making dance is a huge challenge; crafting it to fit the space has magnified that challenge in wonderful ways... below is a quote from Amanda Abrams:

i strongly recall, during the festival, being drawn to moments in a few performances where the dancers were doing something you never ever see on the street. once, it was tony and ilana covering themselves, methodically and slowly, with thick white paint. another time, it was one of kelly mayfield’s dancers getting hit with four full buckets of water. both were simple, physical acts that startled me and pinned me to my spot.

I'm so glad people really saw the work and felt the need to stay... it's a huge compliment and part of the purpose of the work: how do you keep a mobile audience engaged? I hope to answer that better and better over time. :)

Here's Maida Withers' video collage from the festival. You see the moment Amanda referenced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HilaHJ2I3YY

Onward.

No comments: