Friday, January 14, 2011

Not such a scam after all...


I had my first child when I was 23. She was a speed bump... my body didn't change that much and I never had to wear maternity clothes. I danced up until I delivered. It just wasn't that big of a deal.

9 years later, I'm pregnant with child #2. It's a very big deal. I mean the changes to my body, gah! I used to think that maternity clothing was such a scam. "Just buy bigger sizes, borrow clothes, or wear skirts, people!" I would say to myself. I just didn't get why you would actually need specifically made clothing.

Consider me converted. My parents sent me maternity pants and a couple of shirts that are stretchy, comfy and fabulous. But, it's not just that... they FIT. Meaning... I look good in them. Others noticed. For the first time in my pregnancy, I got serious compliments on my appearance. And I was wearing sweatpants.

Clothing that fits your shape - whatever that shape may be - makes you look better. Not to mention comfort. I was comfortable. I don't think I realized how much discomfort, and sometimes pain, I was feeling in my regular, baggy gear.

Now I am craigslisting and neighborhood list-serving searching for gently used maternity gear. I can't subsribe to spending a wad of money I don't have on a whole new short-term wardrobe (though I'd love to do just that!)

Perhaps it's kid #2, perhaps it's being a thirty-something and not a twenty-something... but whatever. Bring on the preggie clothes!


No comments: