Sunday, November 11, 2007

Poetry on a bar-nap: Tryst Word Challenge

Shallom & I went to Tryst the other night for beer, tea & food. We'd had a very long week from extra rehearsals, my mother's venom toward my dearest guest, waiting to get paid far too long, and just being girls in the city. We were inspired to have a topic challenge... here's the result of our labor!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Topic: People Watching

A room full of crowded
Strangers
And here we sit, on the inside
Looking out
Searching for hidden stories
In clouded, distracted faces

The hooded lady, alone on the couch,
Waiting for a lover that never comes
She leaves, to drink alone in her home,
spotless and sterile
The maid has left smudges on the
Mirror.
She will be fired in the morning.
- Shallom

All that's distracting.
I can't see his face.
What is he hiding beneath that hat?
Who gives a shit if you get
tea instead of a drink?
Not the woman you're speaking to -
She's not interested.
Faces reflected in the eerie
glow of a computer screen -
green, sickly and sad.
Socially anti-social
Bizarre breed, indeed.
- k.k.

Topic: Temptation

Bound by words
Spoken in love.
In Lust.
Just in.
To him, to you, to us,
to lust.
For love,
For need,
For curiosity.
For...
Well, sometimes I'm not sure.
The words are there.
Whether carefully crafted, or thrown away.
Either way,
They're powerful.
Watch me step,
Step up or down,
my timing's correct.
In this life of love,
with you.
-k.k. :)

Sly glances from across the room
Few and far between,
But potent as
Triple-strong drinks at the Mill
On a Saturday night
Slide by, brush the small of my
Back with electric fingertips
Wink
Blush
Are you ready for this?
No, I didn't think so...
-Shallom

Topic: Words

He needs time, he says with a smile
Time to think, to prepare...
Spontaneity overrated or merely
Uncultivated?
Waiting only increases my expectations
I don't need brilliance, just a smile
Words are words,
Whether carefully chosen or thrown away
And, napkins are disposable
Combined, they find a way to my heart
A window to my soul
But, only if you're willing to step up and take a chance and
Try..
-Shallom

Her writing,
not the words,
but the script itself says,
"Jaded, a tad by life... Perhaps."

Words can be deceiving,
but the action they are written with
speaks volumes.

Sloppy/slashing
tired strokes
Or, are they bubbly and
effervescent?

What is in-between the lines?
-k.k. :)

No comments: