Sunday, December 9, 2007

Dancing in Protest

This week my company performed Objects of Hope: The America Project at St. Mary's College. We faced quite a bit of skepticism, anger, objection, and offense at what we presented... at first. As the performance week wore on there seemed to be a palpable shift in the understanding of what we were saying in the work. In a nutshell, the entire piece was me asking myself questions in an effort to reclaim my personal patriotism. I'm still asking questions... feel free to join the effort.

I've come to a few conclusions:
1. Many military families object to anything involving the flag in a perceived disrespectful way. My response: It only makes sense - military families exist in a community that is supportive of each other. If a military friend falls on ill times, the rest of the community will pull together to make sure that person does not fall through the cracks. Military families have a village raising their children. Military families have to make difficult choices regarding freedom, service, taking orders, managing paperwork, benefits, wills, etc. Military families experience many of the most beautiful aspects of what the "stars & stripes" are meant to represent: a community of people with a common cause working together to achieve their goals - and demanding support from each other. Patriotism in action, loyalty fulfilled, etc.

As an artist, I have a similar community; I am fortunate. Sadly, many Americans live an isolated life devoid of much true humanity. There is little tangible giving and sharing in the average corporate life. It is far too easy to live for one's self and regard others as "characters" in the "Play of my Life." The piece was meant as a wake up call to people who rarely have to think about the larger picture of how our own actions, those of our community, and our government affect the global community.

Perhaps the piece comes across as offensive or confusing to military families because it is truly preaching to the choir?

2. If more Americans took responsibility for the actions of our elected officials, the laws they/we make, and the role we (as Americans) play globally, etc there would be no need for work like "The America Project." Answering for the U.S. while on travel is a deeply personal & difficult experience - the piece is, in part, a response to that phenomenon.

3. There is great beauty in the freedom to question and protest. It was frightening and glorious to exercise this freedom. I hope more people are inspired to ask their own questions and demand answers of themselves and others. I will continue my journey...

4. As a citizen of this country I am responsible, in part, for the actions of my country. At least that's how other's see it. Governments are made up of people, we ARE the people of the United States of America... I for one have allowed people who do not represent me in any way, shape, or form to make decisions, form public policy, start wars, etc that offend me.

5. The most effective way for me to produce change is through my art. Onward.

No comments: