Monday, January 14, 2008

Photographs... A Quote...

"A photograph is a record of a fleeting instant; a drawing is a composite of the artist's experience." - Roger Tory Peterson

A.K. read this to me out of this article.

I think it's a lovely statement both in the context of the article (I concur, upon reading said article, a.k.) and in the context of life. In my art, I draw with words and movement, taking time to create a painting of an experience, situation, etc.

BUT, photos are amazing!

I did a photo shoot yesterday w/ Paulo Francesco (studiopfp.com) for a new project. He works mainly with models; as I am a dancer, this kind of shoot - a more stationary/posed shoot - is far outside my comfort zone. I really don't know how to be still very well. I'm learning :) He is a patient photographer - and I learned a lot from the experience. In the context of the quote & the shoot, so much time and energy went into creating a fleeting instant - ironic, huh?

Makes me wonder what a painter would have painted of the shoot itself.

Here are some shots from a 2006 shoot w/ Paulo.



No comments: